Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Apr 1999 15:44:49 +0200

David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Massimo Campostrini wrote:
>
> > I have now planned a more structured roadmap to "Generalized new races
> > selection", hopefully it will be easier to merge this into 1.8.
>
> Your plan looks good to me.   Matched server-client changes should
> be do-able with straightforward use of capabilities.
>
> >  Race info must include names (race,
> > leader, titles, cities ...) and flag.  What stopped me was the need to
> > send a picture, maybe now I understand better the communication code
> > and I can do it.
>
> I still think that sending a flag image is the wrong approach,
> because the client may potentially be using different sized tiles,
> a different colormap, different graphics format, ascii ;-), etc.
> I gave my preferences for extensible races, including handling
> the flag problem, in:

OK, now I see it ;-)

I agree.  All the textual race information should be in the server.
Provisionally, let's say that the textual information for one race is
contained in a file; the server reads the file "race.list", which
contains a list of race files to be loaded; a new server command
(newrace?) will load an additional race file.

} 1. Flags icons.
}
} Flags cause particular problems, because different clients may be
} using different tilesets, or even different representations, so
} we can't send flag icons around between clients and servers.

You have convinced me.  All the graphical information should be in
each client.

} Each client will have its own flags.xpm (or equivalent), which
} can be extended locally.  When players select races, they
} also select flags, from the flags known to each individual
} client, and send the flag number to the server.  They also
} select a "solid color", as in Massimo's patch.  The server
} will ensure that players select distinct flag numbers and
} solid color numbers.

I am not sure I like this.  What if some joker chooses the English
race and the French flag?  Cries of dismay from both sides of the
Channel!

Let me try another approach:

Every race somebody wishes to play (be it past, present, fictional, or
whatever), is assigned a unique id (32 bits, to make everybody happy).
If your pet race "Vogon" has no identifier, you make a request (to the
metaserver? to a human?) and a new identifier will be permanently (?)
assigned to the Vogons.

Each client has not only its own flags.xpm, but also a table matching
flags.xpm entries with ids; if an id in play is not in the table, the
solid color will be used.

A bit involved, I know, but this forces synchronization of race and
flag (unless you mess up with your client).

Regards,
        Massimo