Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 13:12:38 +1000

Massimo Campostrini wrote:

> I agree.  All the textual race information should be in the server.
> Provisionally, let's say that the textual information for one race is
> contained in a file; the server reads the file "race.list", which
> contains a list of race files to be loaded; a new server command
> (newrace?) will load an additional race file.

As someone else suggested, using the same system as ruleset
files would make sense.  Then it would be, eg, "set races ancient".

> } Each client will have its own flags.xpm (or equivalent), which
> } can be extended locally.  When players select races, they
> } also select flags, from the flags known to each individual
> } client, and send the flag number to the server.  They also
> } select a "solid color", as in Massimo's patch.  The server
> } will ensure that players select distinct flag numbers and
> } solid color numbers.
>
> I am not sure I like this.  What if some joker chooses the English
> race and the French flag?  Cries of dismay from both sides of the
> Channel!

Trent Piepho wrote:
:
: I remember when this was discussed last, I suggested that the default flag for
: each race be initially selected by the client.  This way the only way you can
: lose your default flag is if you select another one first.

And I agreed.  And still do :-)

-- David