Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Apr 1999 14:08:14 +0200

Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1.8.1: The primary goal of this version is the integration of the gtk client.

> 1.8.2: Internationalization of freeciv.
>        Human-human alliances patch.
>        Fog Of War limited to units.
>        Generalized new races selection.

In my post "very massive patch set" of Oct 26 (yes, that's 1998), I
had some "Generalized new races" implemented.  The trouble was that I
put into my patch a lot of related changes.

I have now planned a more structured roadmap to "Generalized new races
selection", hopefully it will be easier to merge this into 1.8.

1) Implement leader sex, plus sex- and race-related titles (Queen
   Elizabeth, Pharaoh Ramesses, Czar Stalin...)  Not too hard, but
   requires matched server-client changes.

2) Decouple solid colors from races.  This is needed, if we wish to
   have many races to choose from (the number of races in a given game
   will remain limited as it is now).  Same difficulty as 1).

I think that 1) and 2) could be merged into 1.8.1, even if 2) has
limited use without 3).

3) Generalized new races.

What I did was to compile new races into both client and server; this
is better then nothing, but it is lame.  If we plan to do this for
1.8.2, there is time to discuss it and do it right this time.

The best solution I can think of has all the race information in the
server; either it's compiled in, or, better, the server can read race
info from a set of files.  When the game (re-)starts, the server sends
all the race info to the clients.  Race info must include names (race,
leader, titles, cities ...) and flag.  What stopped me was the need to
send a picture, maybe now I understand better the communication code
and I can do it.  But I would rather spend my time compiling new
races, if anybody wishes to develop the new communication code I would
be much happier.

Meanwhile, I'll try to implement 1).

Regards,
        Massimo Campostrini