Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap

To: campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:26:58 +1000

Massimo Campostrini wrote:

> I have now planned a more structured roadmap to "Generalized new races
> selection", hopefully it will be easier to merge this into 1.8.

Your plan looks good to me.   Matched server-client changes should
be do-able with straightforward use of capabilities.

>  Race info must include names (race,
> leader, titles, cities ...) and flag.  What stopped me was the need to
> send a picture, maybe now I understand better the communication code
> and I can do it.

I still think that sending a flag image is the wrong approach,
because the client may potentially be using different sized tiles,
a different colormap, different graphics format, ascii ;-), etc.
I gave my preferences for extensible races, including handling
the flag problem, in: