Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: Lars von dem Ast <prenzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 17:58:33 -0600

Tom Hull wrote:

>My apologies for continuing this thread, especially to Scott Rarden,
>whose very different response is equally valid. But Michael Moore's
>rant touched a nerve with me: namely that the only response that he
>could come up with to Lars' (I thought) modest and touching comment
>was to descend into name-calling and wild hyperbole. On the other
>hand, Lars' analysis misses or obscures some important points. I've
>spent a good deal of time in the last 16 months researching a book
>on some of these matters. (Time, I suppose, that might have been
>happier and more productively spent writing free software.) So if
>you have any interest (and if you don't, stop reading here; you've
>been warned), I'd like to try to work my way through this thicket.
>Because in the long run, if we cannot reason together, it will just
>come down to a matter of power, which leaves all sides bruised or
>worse.

What most Americans do not realize is that the empire game has refined
itself, just like upgraded software, over time. We are very much an
empire and we have the most refined system the world has ever seen. But
even the Romans realized that conquering armies cannot do much good
after the fight is over unless resources smoothly flow back to
headquarters. Pilate was eventually relieved due to his mishandling of
some minor uprising, i.e., even back then the name of the game was
getting resources flowing home. Pilate was supposed to be crafty enough
to NOT need military force to quell trouble.

By the time the British Empire ended (1960's?), imperialism was a highly
refined, all but invisible game. In the 19th century the Brits did some
rather dastardly things. Does anyone know what the Opium War was about?
Britian grew massive quantities of opium in India and Afghanistan, and
literally forced its other eastern colonies to consume it! I shit you
not! In Thailand, the shipment would arrive and the king was expected to
pay for it. And when the next shipment arrived, to pay for it too! He
had little choice but to actively push the drug on his own people! The
Chinese dared stand up to this extortion and got their butts kicked, the
Chinese Emperor once and for all stripped of power.

Empires are run differently now. Today the U.S. has some 4% of the
world's population, but consumes 25% of its resources. We've effectively
rebuilt the world to inundate us with "stuff." This grand capitalism of
ours is in reality nothing but a pyramid scheme. For example, the
Indonesians threw out the Dutch right after WWII and a populist,
patriot-led government began. Soon the CIA threw them out and installed
Suarto, who like Marcos next door, played the game just like we wanted:
He traded his country's abundant natural wealth for military hardware
from us, and salted billions away in Switzerland--all while brutally
suppressing any form of democracy or labor rights. In this climate,
Western investment flooded in and manufacturing grew. Great, you might
think. Today, methamphetamine use is rampant. Workers do 36-hour shifts,
get "great pay" for it, too. Sounds good....

Unfortunately, $1.00/day is just enough to wreck their traditional
self-sufficient subsitence economy. The vast majority of 3rd worlders
lived in close harmony with the land as subsistence farmers. And
whatever they had leftover, they took to the market to sell or barter
for a very limited amount of finished goods. Okay, in waltzes a new
factory. It pays "great" ($1.00/day). The workers "raid" the local
economy with their relatively big money, living like kings. But then
inflation sets in and the finished goods come in too. (Remember "free
trade?") Soon that $1.00/day is not so big, and soon enough it's just
like Charles Dickens's England, i.e., an Industrial Revolution hell. And
those peaceful, bucolic sorts out in the countryside have long since
been forced to play the factory job game too, because their buying power
was blown away long ago by the "big" factory wages. They're forced to
migrate to the city and fight/beg for jobs and be totally dependent on
factory jobs and finished import goods.

Maybe 36-hour meth-fueled shifts are not so bad. Maybe there's still a
farm economy for those still on the farms. But wait, it gets better!
Suoarto (Marcos, etc.) consolodate and convert the farmland to big
plantations (for their rich buddies) and produce export cash crops to
sell on the international market, that is, again, to us real cheap. And
all but ruined Kansas wheat farmers see their wheat exported to places
like, ta da! Indonesia! (This really hit Mexico hard when NAFTA all but
crashed the Mexican ag market. Huge protests in M.City just recently.)

All the while the TV is blaring American homogenizing mind-rot
world-wide, creating urban work clones stripped of any need of their
traditional culture or beliefs. The Hollywood machine pumps out the
materialism and pseudo-individualism (work hard! get rich! buy pretty
car!) as a substitute for family, tribe, and village. Work, watch,
consume. Repeat....until you drop. This whole scene is repeated
throughout the hellish 3rd world. And the cheap resources and goods
flood into the 1st world--to show up on your Walmart shelves. 30 years
ago the amount of "stuff" on store shelves was 10% of what it is today.
Are you happier? I'm old enough to have seen this huge per capita
increase in materialism--and also seen how real quality of life has
plummeted...Are you beginning to see why lots and lots of people don't
like us?

To me, the modern American way is the way of death. And the global free
market is the biggest evil since Lucifer himself. It's the way of
Saruman in Tolkien's LOTR, verbatim. We totally define life in terms of
the material. We have no concept of life other than the material. We
work, we watch (TV), we consume. Repeat. We modern, American-led humans
grow like a cancer on the planet population- and
resource-consumption-wise. We sense modern life's pointlessness, and
with the right dosages of Jesus, Prozac, and 24/7 media, we put off the
"meaning of life" question. We wallow around in some saccharin nostagia.
We download lifestyle and image upgrades constantly from Hollywood. We
need the next thing. Always the next better thing. If you don't believe
me, just turn the TV off, entirely. After a while you'll get edgy,
nervous, just like a drug addict. Go a few days, weeks, months without
media. I bet you can't.

I used to think my faceless German peasant ancestors were nobodies and I
was so cool to live today and program a computer, etc. Now I know I'm
the nobody!

Sorry for the full-frontal assault. I knew all this stuff for a long
time. But then I read Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael" and he blew my head off.
I blame him.

Lb