Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:50:39 -0600 (CST)

>>We're playing the same game... just with modified rules.
>
> Sorry, Jon... I replied to this already; but, maybe I misunderstood
> you.
> Maybe, you are just pissed about the voting process in Florida.  But,
> you must know that there are laws in place on what is an acceptable
> vote  and what is not.  If the voters don't following
> instructions.....and  once their vote is submitted there is nothing
> that can then be done.  Al  wanted to change the laws after the fact.
> He wanted to interpet what  the voter might or might not have wanted.

When police officers are telling blacks not to vote, that's hardly the
voter's fault if they don't vote.
When people cannot vote accurately because the vote-taking equipment is
outdated or damaged, you cannot blame the voter.
When the ballots themselves violate state laws, you cannot blame the voters.

Should Gore have won?  Maybe.  Should Bush have won?  Maybe.

If the situation was reversed, Bush's supporters would be the ones calling
foul play.  It's always that way.  The loser complains, and the winner
complains that the loser is complaining.
But that's not the point.  The point is, several thousand people didn't
get to vote, or didn't get their votes counted accurately--and at no fault
of their own.
Sure, some voters are stupid, and some voters don't deserve to have their
votes counted for that reason.  Those aren't the voters I'm worried about.

> In any case, we are all famaliar with what happened over a 2 month
> period.  Bush supports have their view and you Gore supports have your
> view.  But, to compare murder to our voting process says a lot for your
>  intelligence.  Here.....here's what you wrote.....read it again:
> "Rather  than killing the previous president, we just disenfranchise a
> small  group of people in Florida."

Please don't call me a "Gore supporter."

Just because I believe Bush won illegitimately doesn't mean that I support
Gore.  It doesn't mean I voted for Gore.  It doesn't mean I think Bush
wasn't the best candidate.
It just means that I believe Bush won illegitimately.  Nothing more.

-- Jonathan