Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:44:04 -0600 (CST)

>>That's true... our empire is more "civilized."  Rather than killing the
>>previous president, we just disenfranchise a small group of people in
>>Florida... a group that happens to represent the majority opinion in
>>the nation.
>>
>>We're playing the same game... just with modified rules.

> Jon, now you are making blanket statements; but with incorrect
> evidence.
> Your the one who's acting like they've been cheated and is yelling at
> their opposition without and due reason.

I'm not sure which statement I made you think is a "blanket statement with
incorrect evidence."  The statement you quoted was backed by evidence--the
evidence being the Florida vote recount.  Regardless of whether you're a
Rep, Dem, or 3rd party, whether you like the results or not, it's common
knowledge that there were irregularities in Florida (and throughout the
nation) that left people disenfranchised--on all sides of the issue.

> For you information majority opinion or popular vote does not mean you
> will win.  If popular vote ruled then lots of small less populous
> states, such as Kansas, would not even matter.  It was the Democrats
> that wanted to modify the laws.  In any case I don't have time to
> explain the electorial process to you.  Maybe, you need to go back and
> take another Political Science class....you obviously slept thru the
> last one you had.

I could argue that I understand the electoral process fully, but I won't,
because that's totally irrelevant to this discussion, and isn't even
related to the point I was making.

>>>I don't think people of other Nations hate our freedom.  In fact, I
>>>think lots of times we are hated just becuase of our success.
>>
>>You're right--they don't hate our freedom.  They hate our opression.
>>
> I'm sure the Kuwaits don't share your view.

The "Kuwaits" (sic) are too busy being oppressed by their own government
to worry about U.S. oppression.
Fact of the matter is, Kuwaitis are very oppressed by their own
government--yes, the Kuwati government.  Perhaps even moreso than they
would have been by the Iraqi government.  The U.S.'s interest was not in
liberating the _people_ of Kuwait into freedom, but in liberating the
U.S.-friendly government of Kuwait into free-trade.
If our motivation was truely humanitarian, then after "liberating" Kuwait,
we would have put a democratic government into place as well, rather than
letting the old dictatorship resume control.
Want some evidence?  Sure... try these for starters:

http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/ws/2000/berlin59.html
http://thor.prohosting.com/~fflag/2/suck.htm

And look here for an interesting view that Iraq had a right to take
Kuwait:
http://www.historyexplained.com/index.php/forum/main/event=read/fid=test/m=329
>>If evil can be measured in numbers of "innocent lives lost", then the
>>U.S., with those two events alone, wins against Nazi Germany and the
>>Holocaust by about 3-4 times.
>
> How do you argue with that logic?  I'll just let your words speak for
> themselves.

I guess that means you agree with me then!

> I agree that this thread should stop immediately, I suggested it
> probably 12 or more post ago.  But, the flames keep coming and I am not
>  going to back from one of these comments... now.

Who are you agreeing with?  I don't think anyone has said this thread
should stop (except you, now).  I think the personal attacks _should_
stop.  The exchange of ideas, however, is a good thing.

> I guess if my views are too pro-American you can alway have me removed
> from the list, Jon & John.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we removed someone from our list for disagreeing
with us?  Ironic and idiotic.  We are, afterall, members of a community
that values above most else, freedom of speech and
expression--specifically as it relates to technology, but usually in other
areas as well.
-- Jonathan