Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: Kirk Lancaster <lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:57:56 -0600

This thread is interesting.  I have several thoughts, at least
one of which should be relevant to this discussion.
1. I am concerned that Bush is making the US look like fools
(e.g. Bush doctrine: only the US can be a superpower).
I am concerned that US citizens will be hated for 20+ years
because of "W"'s errors.  However, a "more knowledgeable"
(wrt foreign affairs) professor here disagrees and says Bush's
statements and actions will have little lasting negative effect.
(I presume that he means that the statements and actions of
whomever is President are the only things (wrt US govt.) that
matter.)
2. We (my family and I) will be spending a lot of time in Europe
in the future.  Have you seen how the US dollar is sinking wrt
the Euro?  Last summer, the US$ was worth more than a Euro
and this was nice.  The US government was looking at a surplus
for FY03; instead we have a massive deficit.  (The economic
climate has played a role, but so has the Bush tax cut.  Everyone
on this discussion list makes enough money that Bush's tax cut
does some good, ... right?  We all make $100,000+ per year -
.... except me.)
3. Complaining about the US is reasonable; just remember how
bad a lot of other places are.  (Italy - be president and own the
media.  China - you need a bribe to get an appointment with a
doctor. (Or is that just the HMO?)  Germany - become a skinhead.
France - become French?  Any Islamic country - if it is fun, it is
illegal (OK, a bit over the top)  Ireland - if the utility screws up
your bill, ... tough.)  (disclaimer: all "Euro-bashing" is meant in fun.)

No one knows the "answers".  It is not realistic to hold to our ideals
(e.g. self-determination (e.g. Boston Tea Party)) in international
affairs in the short run.  It is also not realistic to fail to hold to our
ideals in international affairs in the long run.  It would take a SMART
president to reach a reasonable balance.