Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 18:24:26 -0600

> Indeed, you might get some very different associations from the British
and
> Irish.  Also, there's always the angle that one person's
warrior/terrorist
> is another's freedom fighter/liberator.  I wonder if the British saw
George
> Washington in a way similar to the Israelis see Arafat?
>
> (That's not a troll nor a comparison, but an honest inquiry)

very true, i forgot about that...  i'm sure to the followers of osama
(their "technical" name escapes me at the moment), he was someone to be
revered (sp?)...

> It's amazing how much longer the historical memory is some places.  We're
> doing well to remember World War I here in the US.

true... it seems like a lot of americans have a hard time remembering
anything...  they learn the lesson, then forget it in no time...  (not to
say i'm innocent of this at all)

> > times almost feel embarrased to say i'm from the US...  i have pride
for
> > what my country is supposed to believe in, but i don't necessarily take
> > pride in everything the country does or take pride in the actions of
every
> > last person...  just like the majority of muslims do not respect bin
> > laden...
>
> Very well put.  Mind if I quote you on my website?

sure, what the heck :)

> It's true, too, that Canada for instance has stronger free speech in most
> areas than the US does.

take off, eh!  you hoser!  ;)

one other thing i found interesting from my religions of the world class...
not really in response to anything on this thread so far, just something
that i found very interesting when i first read it:

"...War is therefore the last resort, and is subject to the rigorous
conditions laid down by the sacred law. The often misunderstood and
overused term jihad literally means "struggle" and not "holy war" (a term
not found anywhere in the Qur'an). Jihad, as an Islamic concept, can be on
a personal level--inner struggle against evil within oneself; struggle for
decency and goodness on the social level; and struggle on the battlefield,
if and when necessary.
Jihad"

-- excerpt from presentation notes by Hassin Shourbaji... full text can be
found at http://hesston.edu/academic/FACULTY/DWIGHTR/SOC122/Islam.htm for
those interested...
gLaNDix