Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 15:27:13 -0600

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

>>I am glad to see traffic up on this list.  But, it would be nice if we
>>can stay away from politics.  I myself have better things to do than
>>waste time in this Flame war.  You are not going to change my
>>conservative views and I am not going to change your Liberal views.
>>
>>Let this thread die.  I am not going to respond to it anymore.
>>

>while there have been some posts that could be considered flame-level,
>there have also been a number of very interesting (imho) posts...
>regardless of whether or not i agree with them...  besides, this list (as
>people have mentioned other times) is a general discussion list...  i've
>seen everything from politics to red dwarf discussed here and while there
>are some threads i don't feel the need to follow or respond to, there are a
>lot of threads i do follow (even if i don't respond) that have nothing to
>do with...well, anything sometimes! :P  i find it interesting...  when i
>was at tabor, i had a number of "philosophy major" friends that i'd love to
>sit back and listen to their debates (sometimes about things as pointless
>as scooby doo), but i could never get in a word edge-wise...  i like this
>list because i can sit back and listen if i want, but i can also get my
>words in if i want... regardless of the topic...
>
>i think a bigger issue than staying away from topics is to remember that
>everyone has their own viewpoints and in their eyes, that viewpoint may be
>the absolute truth...  everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it is
>even ok to try and persuade others to agree with your viewpoint...  where
>you cross the line is when you start attacking someone else's ideas...

Well, that's my whole point.  When people start discussing political
views , before you know it they or we end up attacking someone else's
ideas.  Political views can be a touchy subject.  I myself, am not that
interest in seriously discussing the topics in email or news-groups.
 There can be a lot of misinterpretation and then a lot of Flaming going
on.  Of couse, snappy come-back one-liners and Flaming can be fun.....as
long as people don't take it too seriously or personally.

As you know, there is very little traffic on this list in the first
place.  It would be nice to find better topics than this to discuss.

Of course, there are some politics I will discuss; such as, bills that
affect our use of free & open source software as well as hardware.