Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 21:18:40 -0600

John Goerzen wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:03:00PM -0600, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
>

>>i think a bigger issue than staying away from topics is to remember that
>>everyone has their own viewpoints and in their eyes, that viewpoint may be
>>the absolute truth...  everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it is
>>even ok to try and persuade others to agree with your viewpoint...  where
>>you cross the line is when you start attacking someone else's ideas...
>>

>I'm not sure there's a clear line between someone's ideas and someone's
>viewpoint.  Frankly, I too enjoy the debates you referred to, and welcome an
>informed challenge of my ideas and viewpoints.  It is a good way to sharpen
>one's own position, to discover flaws, or to correct one's thinking.  People
>that become evasive or prone to ad hominem attacks when their beliefs are
>questioned lead me to believe there is some underlying insecurity about
>those beliefs.

Sorry, but I do need to respond to this.  There is no insecurity about
my beliefs!!!!!

I am sorry you don't enjoy comments like "Have you hugged a terrorist
today"........and I don't enjoy comments that compare Nazi Germany to
the USA or President Bush Hitler.  And by the way, my comment was
sarcasm.  If you took it too personally than maybe you are insure about
your beliefs?

Why do you believe that anyone that doesn't believe the same as
you....is attacking you.....that sounded american. ;-)

This whole thread was started by jlweaver comment about the Shoe
Bomber.....and the several people jumped his case for his views.

You wrote:

That is one of the most low-down disgraceful comments I've seen in a long
time.  To show such little regard for human life removes your ability
to, in
good faith, condemn Reid's actions.

Comments like those and others I don't enjoy.  It seems there is more
concern for these terrorists feelings and rights than there is for U.S.
Citizens.  If your upset becuase you felt jlweaver would be happy about
Reid being murdered in prison......So What.  You do realize we are in a
WAR.....on Terrorism..... Guess what happened after World War II ended.
 We defeated our enemy (which include a lot of killing - Including the
dropping of (2) Nukes).  From all the old news reel footage it looked
like not only Americans, but the whole world was celebrating their
victory. You know, I bet the losing side didn't like that....but, thats
just tough.  War is not meant to be pleasant.

Also, for the last 4 months there has been continual bashing by the
Left-Wing against anybody that doesn't share their view.  They attack
the USA with there words.  They don't want to go into Iraq and they
verbally attack anyone that disagrees with the view.  In the last 4
months, time and time again you hear the Hollywood elite stand up and
say they are ashamed to be an American. How insecure is that, they are
not getting what they want so they behave just like a child that might
tell their parent they are ashamed to be their son or daughter and
unless they get what they want they are running away from home.  I might
not agree with everything the USA does; but, you will never hear me say
that I am ashamed to be an American.

Scott Rarden said:

But one of the things that bothers me about the internal discussions about what
we are doing and what we should be doing is that it
usually gives the benefit of the doubt to other countries before ours.

Nicely said by Scott.  That is my problem with these other views in a
nutshell.  In all these discussions the USA is the bad guy.  And since I
am sticking up for the USA than I am the bad guy too.

I'll quit my ranting now......the message won't get thru away.