Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Columbia

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Columbia
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 19:44:34 -0600

Nate Bargmann wrote:

>Since the group seems to be in debate mode right now...  ;-)
>
>I watched a good part of the NASA press conference this afternoon and
>one of the tidbits I saw flashed up on the screen was that President
>Bush plans to ask Congress to allocate $449 million (I think that's the
>right figure) to NASA tomorow.  There was some speculation elsewhere
>yesterday that Congress may be inclined to cut NASA's budget further,
>which they may yet do.
>
>My question is, what should the future role of NASA be?
>
>After thinking about it a while, I'm inclined to think that NASA should
>eventually be to space flight as the FAA is to air travel.  In other
>words a regulatory and oversight agency, but not the sole operator of
>space flights from the U.S.  I think the loss of Columbia is a wake up
>call that we need to heed.  There have to be other/better ways to access
>space and those ways will only be found when innovation is allowed
>outside the goverment monopoly.
>
>Some may well wonder where the funds would come from.  Well, I would
>guess that there are venture capitalists out there looking for the "next
>big thing" and whats bigger or more limitless than space?  The Internet
>has settled into an "everyday tool" for most people, so I doubt we'll
>ever see the heavy investments in Internet based businesses as happened
>in the late '90s.
>
>I think NASA should remain involved in the scientific exploration of
>space.  As for the operation of the International Space Station, since
>it is largely a scientific laboratory it should probably remain under
>government control for the foreseeable future.  However, as space based
>manufacturing evolves into a commercial viability, then I think private
>interests should be allowed/encouraged to operate in space.
>
>In the short term, I think that getting the shuttle's replacement built
>and tested should be a priority for the next decade.  How that can best
>be accomplished is the question.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>- Nate >>

I was very saddend by the loss of the 7 astronaunts and Columbia.

Those topics were being discussed a lot on the news today.  What should
be NASA's role in the future?

With the economy the way it is I think it will be a long time before
venture capitalists would take on such a risky venture.  But, it would
be cool if that was to happen one day.  At one time I think there was
even some talk about using MIR as a Hotel in the sky.  But, the Mir was
in too bad a shape.

Some tough questions - Should space be commericalized?

The same question was asked about Linux several years back.