Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Columbia

To: ACLUG discussion <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Columbia
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 19:05:30 -0600

Since the group seems to be in debate mode right now...  ;-)

I watched a good part of the NASA press conference this afternoon and
one of the tidbits I saw flashed up on the screen was that President
Bush plans to ask Congress to allocate $449 million (I think that's the
right figure) to NASA tomorow.  There was some speculation elsewhere
yesterday that Congress may be inclined to cut NASA's budget further,
which they may yet do.

My question is, what should the future role of NASA be?

After thinking about it a while, I'm inclined to think that NASA should
eventually be to space flight as the FAA is to air travel.  In other
words a regulatory and oversight agency, but not the sole operator of
space flights from the U.S.  I think the loss of Columbia is a wake up
call that we need to heed.  There have to be other/better ways to access
space and those ways will only be found when innovation is allowed
outside the goverment monopoly.

Some may well wonder where the funds would come from.  Well, I would
guess that there are venture capitalists out there looking for the "next
big thing" and whats bigger or more limitless than space?  The Internet
has settled into an "everyday tool" for most people, so I doubt we'll
ever see the heavy investments in Internet based businesses as happened
in the late '90s.

I think NASA should remain involved in the scientific exploration of
space.  As for the operation of the International Space Station, since
it is largely a scientific laboratory it should probably remain under
government control for the foreseeable future.  However, as space based
manufacturing evolves into a commercial viability, then I think private
interests should be allowed/encouraged to operate in space.

In the short term, I think that getting the shuttle's replacement built
and tested should be a priority for the next decade.  How that can best
be accomplished is the question.

Thoughts?

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and