Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:23:03 -0600

John Goerzen wrote:

>>>Those are not comments that I made.
>>>

>>I did not say you made those comments.  Once, again....here is what you
>>did say.
>>
>>"What I do not enjoy are comments saying that the Democrats' motto is "Have
>>you hugged a terrorist today".  That's not helping advanced any kind of
>>civilized discourse."
>>

>I fail to see how that is comparing Nazi Germany to the USA or Bush to
>Hitler.

I know this is a long thread.  But, try and keep up.  What started this
discuss/debate a persons following comment.

One parting thought: Let's look at 1930's Germany. The Germans were
>blustery and jingoistic and nationalistic and talked about how wounded
>they were and how they weren't gunna take it anymore and had a big
>military and a loud-talking leader--lots of anxieties fueled even more
>by a weak economy. Sound familiar?

>>>Several points:
>>>
>>>1. I do not believe that the life of a U.S. Citizen is more valuable
>>>  than the life of anyone else.  We should respect people because they
>>>  are human, not because of where they happened to be born.
>>>
>>>2. I did not in any way imply that the lives of U.S. Citizens were not
>>>  valuable.  I agree that the 9/11 attacks were wretched and wrong.
>>>
>>>3. I further believe that inflicting more pain on the world is not
>>>  going to mend the pain we have suffered; only prolong it.
>>>

>>I don't like any of you three points.   In your first point... you say,
>>you do not believe that the life of a U.S. Citizen is more valuable than
>>the life of anyone else.  But, by your own words (see your point 3) you
>>imply that a U.S. Citizen has less value than the life of somebody in
>>

>How do I imply that?  Are not US citizens part of the world?
>

>>another country.  Why, would I say that...becuase you don't want to
>>stand up for America..... becuase you don't want to inflict any pain on
>>the rest of the world.  By doing nothing, and letting Sadam and
>>terrorist continue down their current road you put all of us in danger.
>>

>Oh c'mon, this is silly.  Saddam has never been a threat to the U.S. and
>certainly is not now.  Heck, is is barely a threat to parts of Europe.
>There has never been any convincing evidence of links to bin Laden's group,
>and what's more, historical evidence that bin Laden thought of Hussein as an
>enemy.  The linking of Iraq to any sort of terrorist attack on the U.S. is
>flimsy at best, and likely wholly inaccurate.

Well, you are intitled to your opinion.  However, misguided it is.

Man even as I type these words I still can't get what you said to me, in
an earlier post, out of my head.

Here what you said:  "OK let me start out this way:  I am ashamed to be
an American".

I have probably disagreed with you on about everything you have said on
this topic.  But, now I have to agree with you on your last statement.
I too, am ashamed that YOU are an American.

Your not worth my time to discuss this topic any further.  If you want
to debate something else then fine.   But, this topic between us is dead.