Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: no-so-much Richard Reid (was Re: Richard Reid)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: no-so-much Richard Reid (was Re: Richard Reid)
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:29:09 -0600

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:47:39PM -0600, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> yah, those are definately on-topic for a list like this :)  ..  speaking of
> which, i haven't been following news in general much lately (except for the
> semi-recent release of KDE 3.1)...  is there any new bills trying to take
> away more of our freedom?  i haven't heard anything major since the one

Yes.  A good way to keep up-to-date on these is at
http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp

There are a couple of things -- the most major is the Total Information
Awareness (TIA), a DoD (Dept. of Defense) project.

There is also a bill trying to give more freedom back -- the DMCRA.  The EFF
has info on both of those, and it is a good idea to write to US
reps/senators to support it.

> that had some relation to disney of which i do not recall the name (see,
> told ya i haven't followed the news! :)

That would be th CBDTPA, also linked to on that EFF page, with more
information at http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=1521
Among other things, the CBDTPA would ban creating MP3s of CDs you legally
own.

EFF also has their EFFector newsletter, which is a weekly e-mail bulletin
with the latest information.

Consider this a plug for EFF :-)

-- John