Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] no-so-much Richard Reid (was Re: Richard Reid)

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] no-so-much Richard Reid (was Re: Richard Reid)
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 15:47:39 -0600

> Well, that's my whole point.  When people start discussing political
> views , before you know it they or we end up attacking someone else's
> ideas.  Political views can be a touchy subject.  I myself, am not that
> interest in seriously discussing the topics in email or news-groups.
>  There can be a lot of misinterpretation and then a lot of Flaming going
> on.  Of couse, snappy come-back one-liners and Flaming can be fun.....as
> long as people don't take it too seriously or personally.

true, i like snappy come-back one-liners, but 99.999999999% of the time i
like making them because i'm goofing off :) ..  but i do get your point,
especially about the misinterpretations...  but the same can be said about
GNOME vs. KDE, emacs vs vi, etc arguments...  tho' i don't recall seeing
many of those on this (or any aclug list) unless they were more out of fun
than flame...

> As you know, there is very little traffic on this list in the first
> place.  It would be nice to find better topics than this to discuss.

yah, i was beginning to wonder before the (i believe it was clint's) video
card post and then my cablemodem post (which, btw, i've come to the
conclusion it has nothing to do w/ the modem, because theirs is working
just as unreliably)

> Of course, there are some politics I will discuss; such as, bills that
> affect our use of free & open source software as well as hardware.

yah, those are definately on-topic for a list like this :)  ..  speaking of
which, i haven't been following news in general much lately (except for the
semi-recent release of KDE 3.1)...  is there any new bills trying to take
away more of our freedom?  i haven't heard anything major since the one
that had some relation to disney of which i do not recall the name (see,
told ya i haven't followed the news! :)

gLaNDix