Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:49:17 -0600

On Sunday 02 February 2003 10:18 pm, you wrote:

> While we're thinking of the pain inflicted, what about the
> far more far-reaching consequences of the two nukes we
> dropped?  Or are you saying that American lives are more
> important than Japanese?  If so, I submit that this bigoted
> attitude puts you at odds with a great deal of modern
> thinking.

John, while I agree with much of what you have said, the
thoughts expressed in the paragraph above might be open to
further argument.  It appeared at the time that the alternative
was an invasion of the Japanese mainland, which could have
caused as many Japanese deaths as the bombs did - plus a like
number of Allied deaths.  Truman agonized over the decision for
some time before ordering the bomb to be used.

The first bomb certainly got their attention, but didn't stop
the fighting.  Another was used three days later and that did
stop the fighting.

One should also be aware of the tenacity (fanaticism?) of the
Japanese forces.  They were happy to fight to the last man.
Very few prisoners were taken because they just didn't
surrender.

The feelings of the American people at the time might be
considered - we didn't like the "Japs."  They started the war
with a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor (the day of infamy)
killing 2,300 americans.  The war had gone on for four years
and we knew how they treated our prisoners they had captured in
the Philipeans.  They had invaded China and Korea and were
barbaric in their treatment of the captured civilians.  They
were "bad guys."  All of them.

The "--- great deal of modern thinking."  you mentioned might
be compared to  'Monday morning quarterbacking' or to a lack of
understanding of the situation that existed 60 years ago.

None of this should be construed to imply that I support
anything that George W. Shrub is apparently planning for Iraq.
He seems to have picked the plan that would cause _US_ the most
grief in the long run.
bruce