Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: Chris Owen <owenc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 02:25:50 -0600 (CST)

On 3 Feb 2003, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> > Will the USA as we know it come to an end?  Perhaps.  But, comparing us
> > to the Roman Empire is very insulting.  Maybe, you should go back an
>
> It is insulting--that's the whole point.  Sometimes the truth hurts.
> It's better to realize it as truth and change, than to ignore the
> truth and remain ignorant, though.

Comparing the two isn't insulting.  It is stupid.  The Roman empire
physically captured and exploited half the world's population.  They did
so through war, rape (literally taking over cultures by impregnating all
the available woman so they would have Roman babies) and complete
distruction of socities.

The US is certainly capable of doing the same now but it doesn't.
Partially because we learned long ago that there are easier ways to get
what you want, but also because as a society we don't do such things.

I'd never make the argument that the US doesn't ever do anything wrong but
given its power it could certain behave in much worse ways than it does.
Invading Europe with Starbucks, Star Wars and blue jeans is not the same
thing as murdering, pillaging and plundering.  Think what you will about
globalism, but NAFTA is not the Punic wars.

When Rome defeated Carthage in the 3rd Punic war they systematically
slaughtered most of the popluation of the entire country.  Those that were
not killed were sold into slavery.  The capital was burned to the ground
and the fields around it were sown with salt to prevent them from being
farmed again.

Why did the 3rd Punic war start?  What did Carthage do to deserve this
treatment?  Basically they recovered from the beating that the Romans gave
them in the 2nd Punic war.  They didn't do anything to threaten Rome or
anything, just had a good thing going.  The Romans were suspicious of
their prosperity and demanded that they abandon their territory and move
inland in Africa.  Since Carthage were basically commercial traders who
relied on sea trade this wasn't a real great offer for them.  When they
refused to basically give up everything they had the Romans went to war
and totally destroyed the country.

Compare this to "The mouse that roared" treatment that Europe got after
WWII and I don't think there is any real comparison.  We may not be
perfect but we are better than most and certainly a lot better than the
Romans.

Chris