Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:54:59 -0600

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:03:00PM -0600, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> i think a bigger issue than staying away from topics is to remember that
> everyone has their own viewpoints and in their eyes, that viewpoint may be
> the absolute truth...  everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it is
> even ok to try and persuade others to agree with your viewpoint...  where
> you cross the line is when you start attacking someone else's ideas...

I'm not sure there's a clear line between someone's ideas and someone's
viewpoint.  Frankly, I too enjoy the debates you referred to, and welcome an
informed challenge of my ideas and viewpoints.  It is a good way to sharpen
one's own position, to discover flaws, or to correct one's thinking.  People
that become evasive or prone to ad hominem attacks when their beliefs are
questioned lead me to believe there is some underlying insecurity about
those beliefs.

What I do not enjoy are comments saying that the Democrats' motto is "Have
you hugged a terrorist today".  That's not helping advanced any kind of
civilized discourse.

-- John