Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 18:00:56 -0600

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 02:47:24PM -0600, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> > I don't think they hate our freedom either.  I think what they hate is
> that
> > we are trying to take away theirs.
>
> and it has been very interesting...  first of all, i am glad to see that
> (so far.. i haven't read past the e-mail i'm responding to yet) there
> hasn't been any "those darn muslim"-type e-mails like you hear so much on
> TV...  most people have been pretty good about either using quantifiers
> (most, many, a number) instead of "all" (in this list, i mean)...

Yet at the same time, you have caught me in that very error above.  Guess I
need to be more precise too :-)

> people...  so many times on TV you hear people using the words "terrorist",
> "arab" and "muslim" (along with others) synonymously...  but again i
> digress...

Indeed, you might get some very different associations from the British and
Irish.  Also, there's always the angle that one person's warrior/terrorist
is another's freedom fighter/liberator.  I wonder if the British saw George
Washington in a way similar to the Israelis see Arafat?

(That's not a troll nor a comparison, but an honest inquiry)

> islamic newspapers, etc...  this scares a lot of them because of the last
> crusade (no, not Indiana Jones :P) and how bloody it was...  i don't blame

It's amazing how much longer the historical memory is some places.  We're
doing well to remember World War I here in the US.

> times almost feel embarrased to say i'm from the US...  i have pride for
> what my country is supposed to believe in, but i don't necessarily take
> pride in everything the country does or take pride in the actions of every
> last person...  just like the majority of muslims do not respect bin
> laden...

Very well put.  Mind if I quote you on my website?

> > Then why did Bush tell people to go out and spend money and visit Disney
> > World?
>
> disney owns the gov't... didn't you get the memo? ;)

Ahh, must bee Senator Fritz "Disney" Hollings again.

> (even tho' this was from the previous msg, not john's)...  one of the great
> things about the US is that we (for the most part) have the freedom to
> express our beliefs, even if they aren't 100% pro-american...  granted, the
> level you are able to express these non-pro-american (or even
> anti-american) beliefs is limited by the gov't...  freedom of speech to a
> point, i guess...

It's true, too, that Canada for instance has stronger free speech in most
areas than the US does.

--
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                       www.complete.org