Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Richard Reid
From: Scott Rarden <srarden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:27:01 -0600

> I am really becoming amazed to see how many liberals there are in this
> club.  Am I the only conservative in this group?

No you are not the only conservative on the list.  In reading the posts i=
t=20
became obvious that there are probably better things to do than to try an=
d=20
argue with people whose positions are held so tightly that there is no=20
arguing with them.  That goes for both sides of this argument -- I doubt =
they=20
could convince me of the moral or factual correctness of their viewpoint =
even=20
if they knew me personally, let alone over an email list.  I doubt I coul=
d=20
present a case that would make them turn a 180 and head in my direction.

The last few posts have proven the truth of that to my satisfaction, if n=
o one=20
else.

Luckily, I am part of this list because I have an intense interest in Lin=
ux,=20
use it at home, and generally like the people who have that same interest=
=2E  I=20
can agree to disagree on this point, yet still appreciate some of the oth=
er=20
discussions, and of course any technical viewpoints held by the others on=
=20
this list.  They can attempt to persuade people who have not made up thei=
r=20
minds on the various matters (hey, even the assasination of JFK for all I=
=20
care) as can I.

I do not believe that they are members of the Nazi party or would be if t=
hey=20
could, nor do I believe that they are members of the Communist party, to =
get=20
closer to the totalitarian viewpoint on that side of the aisle.  I regret=
=20
that they can not believe something to that affect about conservatives.

But then again -- they don't know me personally.  Well...most of them :).

Scott Rarden