Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: "Jeffrey L. Hansen" <jlhansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:36:03 -0500 (CDT)

This one brings up an interesting point that keeps stunting my LINUX
growth.  The "RTFM" anthem, while nice for a good giggle among the
knowing, is frustrating beyond comprehension to the poor guy who asks the
"well documented" question.  I don't have the time to RTFM and was hoping
to maybe get the basics of the operating system from those who are more
blessed with time to dedicate to computers.  I get the stare from my wife
when I even check the email, so learning a new system at home is pretty
much out of the question.  I was hoping beyond hope that there wouldn't be
a caste system in ACLUG, but have run into it many times and I'm really
fairly much of a non-user now as a result.  The times I get online are
devoted to getting things done and not trying to make a quirky KPPP to run
or a buggy distribution of netscape to work.  Win98 has been much nicer to
me than LINUX has so I've pretty much retreated to it.  I can install that
system in my sleep and configure and troubleshoot it without any problems.
I'm self-taught and it wasn't too difficult.  LINUX has been
incomprehensible to me from the start.  I'm about to give Solaris a try
just to see if that's any better.
        I think the group is largely on track with its aim, but a newcomer
is pretty much out in the cold - at least I have been since I'm not a
socializer.  Good luck to the rest.

jeff