Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:56:58 -0500

The difference between learning Windows and learning Linux really is not
that great.  To "master" Windows takes just as much (if not more) time,
reading, and determination as it does to "master" Linux.

The difference is that Linux is more like a bicycle with "some assembly
required."  If you don't have the time (or patientence, or determination, or
whtatever) to read the instructions to assemble the bicycle, you're better
off purchasing a ready-built bicycle--even if it costs more and doesn't last
as long, or has fewer gears, etc...

Linux is not for everybody.  Let me repeat that.  LINUX IS NOT FOR
EVERYBODY!

*I* like Linux.  *I* use Linux for MANY things.  I also happen to have the
time to read a lot.  I also happen to enjoy reading a lot.  I think I'm a
fairly determined individual... etc, etc, etc.

If I didn't have the time (due to school, work, family, whatever) to do the
necessary reading, I wouldn't expect to be able to use Linux to the full
extent that I do today.

I think I have to agree with Carl Cravens' opinion that "If you don't have
the time to RTFM, you don't have the time to use Linux."  Not having time
does not make one a "bad person," though.

I think it could also be effectively argued that if you don't have the time
to RTFM, then you don't have the time to listen to a lecture, or read a
Linux mailing list.  RTFMing is a good way to provide a lot of information
quickly.  Often much more quickly than a LUG meeting or mailing list thread.
Meetings and threads are for "filling in the gaps"--helping bridge concepts
that don't make sense, or fleshing out details where the docs are lacking.

Books/manuals exist for a reason--it's an effecient way to communicate
ideas.  More efficient than giving lectures or presentations or carrying on
converstations (either in person or online).  That's why books were
invented.  If it was more efficient or easier to carry on real-life
conversations all the time, we'd still be using story tellers instead of the
WWW.

On Sat, Apr 15, 2000 at 12:05:46PM -0500, Jeffrey L. Hansen wrote:
> Indeed.  I guess learning LINUX is supposed to be a full time job.  I'm
> sorry but I already have one.  It's funny that Windows of any flavor
> wasn't so time intensive.  I think I'm probably the type of member that
> ACLUG doesn't need.  I wanted to learn LINUX to open a development
> platform that wouldn't be so GUI dependant and that I could possibly use
> for some of the control jobs around here.  Since I'll have to devote a
> second lifetime to learning the nuances of the environment without the
> benefit of the experience of those around who might have made my future
> mistakes, I'll have to pass.  Thanks for straightening out my thinking on
> that subject.
>

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Carl D Cravens wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Jeffrey L. Hansen wrote:
> >
> > > This one brings up an interesting point that keeps stunting my LINUX
> > > growth.  The "RTFM" anthem, while nice for a good giggle among the
> > > knowing, is frustrating beyond comprehension to the poor guy who asks the
> > > "well documented" question.  I don't have the time to RTFM and was hoping
> > > to maybe get the basics of the operating system from those who are more
> > > blessed with time to dedicate to computers.
> >
> > If you don't have time to RTFM, you don't have time to learn the details
> > of Linux.  RTFM isn't for "a good giggle among the knowing"... it's the
> > key to learning.  Excuse me for being blunt, but that's just the way it
> > is.  A user group isn't there to hold your hand through every operation...
> > it's there to get you pointed in the right direction and help out when you
> > get stuck.  And getting you pointed in the right direction is telling you
> > to RTFM if you haven't done so already.
> >
> > Imagine that you're taking a college course and in the middle of lecture
> > you ask the professor to explain what it is he's talking about.  He
> > replies that it's in the reading.  You explain that you don't have the
> > time to read the book, so you'd appreciate it if he'd kindly explain just
> > enough of it to you that you can squeek by without reading the book.
> >
> > What's your professor going to do?  He's going to tell you to read the
> > assignment, that he doesn't have time to help you if you aren't willing to
> > help yourself.  And this guy's getting *paid* to teach you.  The guys in
> > the user group aren't.
> >
> > If you haven't got the time to help yourself, why should anybody else take
> > the time to help you?
> >
> > I'm really sorry to sound like an a-hole, but that's the bare truth of
> > it.  You get out of it what you put into it.  If you insist on making
> > volunteers do the work for you, you're just going to drag them down and
> > burn them out that much faster.
> >
> > > incomprehensible to me from the start.  I'm about to give Solaris a try
> > > just to see if that's any better.
> >
> > It won't be.  Unix is Unix, regardless of the flavor, and it has a steep
> > learning curve.
> >
> > --
> > Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
> [...]

"People have sometimes worried that it is 'unprofessional' to use profanity.
But if you think professionals don't swear you've either been living in a
monastery or playing golf your whole life."  -- Linus Torvalds