Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: Larry Bottorff <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:11:01 -0500

"Jeffrey L. Hansen" wrote:

> Indeed.  I guess learning LINUX is supposed to be a full time job.  I'm
> sorry but I already have one.  It's funny that Windows of any flavor
> wasn't so time intensive.  I think I'm probably the type of member that
> ACLUG doesn't need.  I wanted to learn LINUX to open a development
> platform that wouldn't be so GUI dependant and that I could possibly use
> for some of the control jobs around here.  Since I'll have to devote a
> second lifetime to learning the nuances of the environment without the
> benefit of the experience of those around who might have made my future
> mistakes, I'll have to pass.  Thanks for straightening out my thinking on
> that subject.

In general, WinNT and Unix are almost on a par for "nuances". WinNT
might seem easier at first because you just need to click a few times
with the mouse and type a bit. But very few sys admin tasks stay simple,
and wraslin' NT into compliance can be just as demanding as any
Unix(-like) platform. If you listed some 40 fairly serious sysad chores,
I think you'd quickly discover that the NT way can at times be more
convoluted (WinPerl probably saves the day, though) than Linux/Unix.
Linux/Unix is an honest system with no level hidden and no task
verboten--no MS handwaving.

But one thing about ACLUG is that it's very sys admin-type heavy. The
depths of sysad tweaking are explored here, while the depths of, say,
some GPL programming project are hardly ever discussed. So hang with
Linux for awhile. Besides Judge Jackson ruled Microsoft is illegal,
didn't he?

Lars Von Dem Ast