Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:37:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, phrostie wrote:

> as far as my having a big four year degree, guess again.
> I have a 2 year degree in aircraft mechanics.

As someone who *does* have a four-year degree (BS in CS), I don't think it
means all that much.  When it comes down to it, you still learn all the
nuts and bolts on your own, and you find that being able to write BNF
grammars, draw automata state diagrams, or calculate the runtime magnitude
of an algorithm really isn't all that useful when you're configuring a
router.  i.e. it don't take a college degree to learn how to be a
Unix/Linux system admin... it just takes hands-on experience and a group
of knowledgable peers.  You learn real system administration from other
administrators, not from a bunch of newbies trying to teach each other
what they don't know.

When you want to complain about somebody being more informed than you (a
general you, not a phrostie you), complain about those of us with four
years of real experience, not folks with college degrees.

(I'm not slammin' degrees... I worked hard and sacrificed a bit to earn
mine.  But I don't think it bought me anything but a foot in the door at
places that wouldn't look at me without it.)

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Hey, I ran Windows the other day, and it didn't crash!