Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: RTFM

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: RTFM
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:12:05 -0500

> if one has a question that relates to a distribution
> other than debian, and aclug wants to deal only with
> the linux users that are using debian, maybe aclug
> should change it's name to the debian linux users group.

If somebody asks me a Red Hat/Caldera/Corel/SuSE/TurboLinux/Slackware
question, how do you want me to respond?  My experience is with Debian.

Others have experience with Red Hat.  If you ask them a Debian question how
do you want them to respond?

I am 'working' for ACLUG on a __volunteer__ basis.  If people want to start
paying me for my time, I'll gladly install Red Hat, SuSE, or whatever, and
learn the innerworkings thereof, so I can teach them.

But until that check is in my hand, paying me for my time, I can only offer
what I know.  I'm happy to refer someone with a non-Debian question to
somebody who I think has a better answer--I do this often.  But I simply do
not have the time (or desire) to learn every Linux distro out there simply
so I can answer more questions at ACLUG.

If there are others out there with more experience with SuSE, Red Hat,
Caldera, name-your-distro, and want to talk about it, PLEASE SPEAK UP!!

We've been asking for volunteers now for years.  And it's like pulling teeth
to get anybody who's willing to give a presentation, or even commit to being
available to answer questions.

As a result, the majority of us who are able and willing to donate our time
happen to use Debian.  So that's what we're best able to talk about.

I'll certianly try to answer a Red Hat question... but I've probably spent
an entire 3 hours of my life in front of a Red Hat Box.  I've spent
thousands of hours in front of Debian.  It only makes sense that I cannot
answer all RH questions as efectively as I can Debian questions.

And if I cannot find the answer or someone who can provide the answer...
yes... I will, without hesitation, say "RTFM."  Becuase that's the best
advice I can offer.

If someone wants to pay me to RTFM and explain what I learned, I'll tell you
where to send the check.

--
Tech Support: "Is there an asterisk to the left of the discount field?"
Customer: "Nope, just a 'squishy bug'." (her name for an asterisk)