Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: RTFM

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: RTFM
From: bert <bert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 22:23:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> > if one has a question that relates to a distribution
> > other than debian, and aclug wants to deal only with
> > the linux users that are using debian, maybe aclug
> > should change it's name to the debian linux users group.

if i had an editor that paragraph would never have made it,
but sometimes i ctrl x without reading what i'm trying to
present :(

> If somebody asks me a Red Hat/Caldera/Corel/SuSE/TurboLinux/Slackware
> question, how do you want me to respond?  My experience is with Debian.

i'd like you to respond in the way you're most comfortable with. it's ok
to say, i don't know.  i know you don't have to respond at all -- that's
your choice.

> Others have experience with Red Hat.  If you ask them a Debian question how
> do you want them to respond?

i'd like them to repsond in the way they're most comfortable with.
it's still ok to say, i don't know.

> I am 'working' for ACLUG on a __volunteer__ basis.  If people want to start
> paying me for my time, I'll gladly install Red Hat, SuSE, or whatever, and
> learn the innerworkings thereof, so I can teach them.

> But until that check is in my hand, paying me for my time, I can only offer
> what I know.  I'm happy to refer someone with a non-Debian question to
> somebody who I think has a better answer--I do this often.  But I simply do
> not have the time (or desire) to learn every Linux distro out there simply
> so I can answer more questions at ACLUG.

most don't have the time or desire to learn everything about anything.
possibly the basics for any distro are close to being the same.
maybe it's time to get back to the basics. by that, i don't mean
that the basics are those things that only interest newbies.
some of the basics may be incomprehensible to newbies.

> If there are others out there with more experience with SuSE, Red Hat,
> Caldera, name-your-distro, and want to talk about it, PLEASE SPEAK UP!!
>
> We've been asking for volunteers now for years.  And it's like pulling teeth
> to get anybody who's willing to give a presentation, or even commit to being
> available to answer questions.

sometimes the group is a rather surly bunch, and a presentation or
presenter gets whomped with something seemingly unrelated to the
presentation. yet the question or direction may have seemed viable
to whomever asked the question or suggested the direction.

do you recall how jeff's presentaion on the cmd line got so sidetracked
that tom didn't have time for his presentation?

more recently, john's presentation was sidetracked by someone because
john used the phrase dynamically linked libraries or dll's.
and no one seemed surly at that meeting -- everyone responded in a very
polite manner.  someone would ask if he could finish his thought
when maybe someone else should have said, no, you don't understand
the semantics -- like if i say car it doesn't necessarily mean
a lexus, car in this instance may refer to a honda accord, but i
can still use the word car to indicate the honda accord --  or
more to the point, windows dll's are different than linux dll's
-- sorry, but the difference will have to be discussed at some
other time.

> As a result, the majority of us who are able and willing to donate our time
> happen to use Debian.  So that's what we're best able to talk about.

and everyone donating time is doing a great "job" of it !!!

> I'll certianly try to answer a Red Hat question... but I've probably spent
> an entire 3 hours of my life in front of a Red Hat Box.  I've spent
> thousands of hours in front of Debian.  It only makes sense that I cannot
> answer all RH questions as efectively as I can Debian questions.
>
> And if I cannot find the answer or someone who can provide the answer...
> yes... I will, without hesitation, say "RTFM."  Becuase that's the best
> advice I can offer.
>
> If someone wants to pay me to RTFM and explain what I learned, I'll tell you
> where to send the check.

jon, don't take this personally, but if you had been paid to do the
presentation on linux router, would you have presented it any
differently? i don't think so. and that's one of the great things
about you (and i only know you in an aclug setting ) and aclug --
it's not about focusing on money, or distros, or
getting the newbies spoon-fed.  in large part, the group is social.
i believe anyone willing to attend, present, or whatever, is
benefitting from the experience, regardless if the person is
just off the mountaintop to do some guru stuff or a complete
newbie who thinks linux might just be better than a ms win product.
mostly i see this group about having fun with computers and using
an OS that enables one to have more fun with less down time.