Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:15:46 -0500

"James G." wrote:

> I will insert my comments into this reply below:
>
> John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > for them. The question should be: Does ACLUG care to help this class of
> > > people
> > > I just mentioned, or does it only care about "technically minded people".
> >
> > Both.  You might note the following that ACLUG is doing for the newer
> > Linux users:
> >
> >  * Q&A time before each meeting
>
> This time is mainly unorganized and largely wasted in most resent past
> meetings. If
> the time was better managed, it still wouldn't be enough time.

I try to start the meetings at 7, and ask if there any questions, since
there aren't any until we start with ACLUG business at 7:30, most people
just fall into private conversations.

> >  * Periodic free installs with greater frequency
> >

> This event mainly attracts WSU Computer Science students on a budget (not the
> average Wichita resident who shops at CompUSA and buys a box of Red Hat for
> $29).

If anyone has a problem installing and doesn't come, we can't help it.
We could publicize it more, but then we run into our lack of space.

> >  * Periodic demonstrations with opportunities for people to ask
> >    questions
> >

> Yes... true. This is good. On a bad note though, a one time new visitor will
> often
> feel disoriented and out of place and may not return after just one visit.

The problem is ever meeting can't be: here are the basics of Linux,
because then people would still only be there for one meeting.

> >  * Occasional workshops
> >

> Good. Dedicated topical events for everyone.
>

> >  * Classes
> >

> Instead of a pure on-line class, perhaps a separate night for this also for
> the
> sake of human interaction to get the ball rolling.

An on-line class is OK, but we need participation. We could easily meet
on irc. (Our room situation precludes having a lot of public meetings).
And there is nothing stopping any one from suggesting a public meeting
at a resturant or something.

> >  * Various presentations covering topics of interest to newer users.
> >

> Yes, but is not always on a very simplistic level and not enough new users
> recruited to take advantage of it.

Sometime the new users might have to do some work them self. One thing I
think we should add to our presentations are resources, so the users can
research more and ask questions if the have it with the material. All
commitee members have a section on the website, where they can put stuff
like this.

Also as a not new user. I appreciate advance talks. I don't buy dummies
books, and I'll ask questions.

> >  * These mailing lists where people are always willing to help
> >    the newer users.
> >

> Very good.
>

> >  * Occasional surveys
> >

> The surveys are mainly taken from existing members who are technically
> inclined and
> who make a habit to come back. I feel very little to no input is taken from
> the one
> timers who are disappointed and never come back after one visit.

how would you do that?

> >  * Asking for topic suggestions from everyone, including newer users.
> >

> New is relative....

We ask at everyone at the meeting, and often on the mailing list. If
people don't ask, then they don't get answers!!!

> >  * Looking at other options too.
>
> One option that has been in the past ignored would be  a separate night for
> beginners. This would not take away in the least bit from the existing Monday
> night
> crowd. It would be an extension of the group. In fact, it would allow for
> membership to grow in the existing group. One problem that has prevented this
> option to be executed has been the fear of growth in the group (ironic as it
> may
> seem).

No. It hasn't been executed, because no one has taken the initiative to
do it.

> > I think this is ample evidence that ACLUG is trying to help everyone.
> > It is true that ACLUG is not focused solely on new users.  This should
> > not be the case, in fact.  It should be a situation where everyone can
> > benefit.  Sometimes that means that discussions may be over the head
> > of new users.  Sometimes it means that more advanced users may be
> > bored.  It can't be an either-or thing.
> >

> As someone in the mailing list has suggested, perhaps there should be a
> separate
> meeting night for the superusers among us. (beginner, intermediate, advanced).

I can't come to a different ACLUG meeting every night.

And currently the topic is decided by the one person to come up with a
suggestion that night. We get the cards, but we get 30 different topics.
We try to do our best to serve the most, but we may just serve the
loadest which happen to be the regulars, who are comfortable enough with
us to suggest something.

> > Consider: if ACLUG focuses solely on beginners, none of the more
> > advanced people will be interested, and so there are fewer people for
> > beginners to ask questions of.
> >

> That's why we should cater to each groups needs individually on separate
> nights. I
> keep hearing the reoccurring theme that separate nights for different skill
> levels
> is totally out of the question (as is implied in the last paragraph).

ok James host the beginners, I'll host the intermediate, and dale host
the advanced and never the twain should meet. I don't have the time to
go to three meetings a week.

Lets ask the people on the list and see what they want (because thats
the only group we can ask)

> I'm not at all against what ACLUG is currently doing. I'm against what it is
> currently not doing.

> > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi
>
> James G.

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
President Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
I think the problem is there's a nut loose on your keyboard.
                                        -- Greg to Customer
User Friendly, 1/5/1999