Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:42:14 -0500

I agree with Clint. There are rarely questions asked at large before the meeting
starts.  But I see no real problem here.  I overhear lots of questions being
answered in 'round table' discusssions.

> > >  * Periodic free installs with greater frequency
> > >

> > This event mainly attracts WSU Computer Science students on a
> budget (not the
> > average Wichita resident who shops at CompUSA and buys a box of Red
> Hat for $29).
> >

> If anyone has a problem installing and doesn't come, we can't help it.
> We could publicize it more, but then we run into our lack of space.

Both points are valid.  Unless we can find a better venue for installs, the
current method will have to suffice.  The only alternative I can think of is
charging an 'installation fee' of say $5 so we could go rent a room somewhere.
Or else we need to put out a 'donation box' at regular meetings so we can raise
some funds to do these kinds of things.

> > >  * Classes
> > >

> > Instead of a pure on-line class, perhaps a separate night for this
> also for the
> > sake of human interaction to get the ball rolling.
> >

> An on-line class is OK, but we need participation. We could easily meet
> on irc. (Our room situation precludes having a lot of public meetings).
> And there is nothing stopping any one from suggesting a public meeting
> at a resturant or something.

Clint is right, participation is the key.  And the idea of an informal study
group sounds like a good idea to me.

> > >  * Various presentations covering topics of interest to newer users.
> > >

> > Yes, but is not always on a very simplistic level and not enough new users
> > recruited to take advantage of it.
>
> Sometime the new users might have to do some work them self. One thing I
> think we should add to our presentations are resources, so the users can
> research more and ask questions if the have it with the material. All
> commitee members have a section on the website, where they can put stuff
> like this.

Resource links are a good idea.  But too often it seems like people want
everything handed to them without them doing any work.  I have to spend time
researching what I'm presenting -- they should be prepared to do some follow-up
work.

> > >  * Occasional surveys
> > >

> > The surveys are mainly taken from existing members who are
> technically inclined and
> > who make a habit to come back. I feel very little to no input is
> taken from the one
> > timers who are disappointed and never come back after one visit.
> >

> how would you do that?

Should we perhaps put out survey cards at each meeting for people to 'grade the
instructor'?  If we don't get feedback then, it isn't because we haven't tried.

> > >  * Asking for topic suggestions from everyone, including newer users.
> > >

> > New is relative....
>
> We ask at everyone at the meeting, and often on the mailing list. If
> people don't ask, then they don't get answers!!!

Every announcement asks for topics.  I have yet to see one single request.
Sometimes it's more a thing of people not realizing what they don't know, so
they don't know to ask for it.

> > >  * Looking at other options too.
> >
> > One option that has been in the past ignored would be  a separate night for
> > beginners. This would not take away in the least bit from the
> existing Monday night
> > crowd. It would be an extension of the group. In fact, it would allow for
> > membership to grow in the existing group. One problem that has
> prevented this
> > option to be executed has been the fear of growth in the group
> (ironic as it may
> > seem).
>
> No. It hasn't been executed, because no one has taken the initiative to
> do it.

I think it hasn't been done because those of us taking care of things have our
hands full already. If someone wants to volunteer to put on a meeting, I'm sure
it could be arranged.  In my situation, I couldn't assist if the meeting was
held the same week as a regular Aclug meeting -- it's too hard for me to get off
work early on more than one night a week.

> > > I think this is ample evidence that ACLUG is trying to help everyone.
> > > It is true that ACLUG is not focused solely on new users.  This should
> > > not be the case, in fact.  It should be a situation where everyone can
> > > benefit.  Sometimes that means that discussions may be over the head
> > > of new users.  Sometimes it means that more advanced users may be
> > > bored.  It can't be an either-or thing.
> > >

> > As someone in the mailing list has suggested, perhaps there should
> be a separate
> > meeting night for the superusers among us. (beginner, intermediate,
> advanced).
> >

> I can't come to a different ACLUG meeting every night.

Nor could I.

> And currently the topic is decided by the one person to come up with a
> suggestion that night. We get the cards, but we get 30 different topics.
> We try to do our best to serve the most, but we may just serve the
> loadest which happen to be the regulars, who are comfortable enough with
> us to suggest something.

The other problem with topics is finding someone capable of presenting it, or
presenting it in a meaningful way.  I have problems presenting basic topics, for
my assumptions of prior knowledge always seem to be too high.

> > > Consider: if ACLUG focuses solely on beginners, none of the more
> > > advanced people will be interested, and so there are fewer people for
> > > beginners to ask questions of.
> > >

> > That's why we should cater to each groups needs individually on
> separate nights. I
> > keep hearing the reoccurring theme that separate nights for
> different skill levels
> > is totally out of the question (as is implied in the last paragraph).
>
> ok James host the beginners, I'll host the intermediate, and dale host
> the advanced and never the twain should meet. I don't have the time to
> go to three meetings a week.

Ewww... I don't like that idea.  Unless we alternated meetings.  beginner -
intermediate - advanced - intermediate - beginner - intermediate - advanced...
Essentially, intermeditate topics would occur more frequently than beginner or
advanced.

--dwh