Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:09:12 -0500

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Just FYI, to everyone replying to Patrick's e-mail....  It would seem that
> immediately after sending that mail, Patrick removed himself from our
> mailling list.

Oh well. I've been wishing for some time that Reply To would be the sender,
which would make it much easier to do a direct reply. Not that this reply
is for Patrick.

As I recall, Patrick announced WABLUG around six months ago. At the time I
opined that no one could remain an Absolute Beginner for long, but I guess
he's proven me wrong.

But what bugs me the most about this is the lack of ambition and discipline.
You know, I dropped out of high school at age 15 (got locked up for my
trouble), parlayed my 9th grade D in typing into a typesetting job, took
what I learned about typesetters and fleshed it out reading computer books,
and parlayed that into a job working on Unix kernel VM. The way I did this
was that everywhere I went I found the smartest, most experienced people
around, and picked their brains until they bled. Plus I worked the books.
Plus I programmed. (Cf. Ftwalk for an example.) I owe much of this to the
generous people who befriended and tutored me, but I also owe some of it
to the dogged determination not to let knowledge slip over my head.

The people in ACLUG have consistently gone out of their way to share what
they know, and to help all who want help. With 20+ years experience as a
Unix programmer, I'm certainly no beginner, but I can count dozens of
instances where you've helped me. Thanks.

> Not that I disagree with the replies to his message thus far...
>
> But unless your reply is of importance to the rest of the group (rest
> meaning ACLUG minus Patrick), there's probably little reason to waste your
> breath.  :-)
>
> The committee has begun discussing some of these issues already, and will
> probably have something ready to discuss at the next ACLUG meeting.

I suggested once that it would be better to have two shorter presentations
each meeting, one more introductory and one more advanced. I think there
was also talk about a bigger room, and I suggested maybe a breakout room.
It's very hard to keep a meeting interesting to people with a broad range
of interests and knowledge.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull@xxxxxxxxxxx * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/