Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 21:15:29 -0500

> A possible problem that I see is that we may have several
> classifications of "beginners". There may be those that have no idea
> of what Linux is (or maybe not even a clear idea of what an operating
> system is) and don't know if it is something they want to try or

I would argue that Linux is not for these people and therefore ACLUG is not
for these people.

Linux is not for the faint of heart.  Unix/Linux never was (and IMHO, never
should be) intended for "Joe blow computer user."  Linux is about making
quality, dependable software for free.  Unix traditionally is a "server OS."
That's what it's best at.  Granted, Linux has come a long way toward being a
"pretty" desktop OS, too... But it's still not something I would recommend
to most computer users--certianly not to those who don't even know what an
OS is.

Linux is a great piece of computer software.  That doesn't mean it's for
everybody.  A Dodge 4x4 may be a great pickup truck, but personally, I don't
have a need for a pickup truck!  Not everyone has a need for Linux.

I think the world has done the Linux community a huge disservice by trying
to turn Linux into an easy-to-install/learn/use OS to compete with Windows.
It never was intended to compete with Windows as a desktop OS.  It was never
intended to COMPETE with anything.

When we try to market Linux to 'Ma and Pop', we have to add a lot of "junk"
to make it pretty and "easy."

The only reason to do that is to make money (i.e. Red Hat, Caldera, Corel,
etc).  ACLUG is not out there to make money.  ACLUG is intended to help
people use Linux, not to 'evangelize' Linux to the 'unsaved' Microsoft
souls.

If someone doesn't think they need Linux, they probably don't!  If they're
happy with Windows, more power to them.  Once they've decided they don't
like Windows, though... or that they want to play with Linux, THAT is
ACLUG's turn to jump in and help.  Not before.

> not. Then there may be those that have decided that they want to try
> Linux, but don't know how to start. Then others may have finally got

I would say this is a good place for ACLUG to participate.

> Linux installed (themselves or with the help of an install day) and
> now find themselves wondering what to do with Linux now that they have

I think we have a number of members like this already and I *think* we're
doing an okay job of helping them, from what I've heard most of them saying
in the last few days (and at other times we've asked).

> it. Each of these levels is vastly different than the rest and perhaps
> require a different approach.

I agree.  ACLUG should decide which type(s) of users we want to help.  My
personal opinion is to focus on people who have already heard of Linux and
are interested in persuing it.  We simply don't have the resources available
to us (unless someone wants to donate a lot of time and money) to
'advertise' Linux to the masses.  We can to some extent--with our Linux Demo
every month... But even that will appeal most to people who've already heard
of Linux.

I think we need to try to make ourselves available and visible to people who
know about Linux and are interested in 'taking the plunge.'  In the process,
we'll certianly educate some people who've never heard of Linux before...
but that should not be our focus.

--
Tech Support: "What version of Eudora are you using?"
Customer: "Navigator 3.0."