Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: "James G." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:35:58 -0500

> > I'm not at all against what ACLUG is currently doing. I'm against what it is
> > currently not doing.
>
> But oddly, you have very little advice for what they could do that they
> aren't.  You counter nearly every point with a negative comment, but only
> have one piece of advice.  (And even there I didn't hear you volunteer to
> lead the beginner group.)
>
> --
> Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
> I'm not lost, I'm "locationally challenged".

I'm sorry I didn't come up with a second piece of advice to help validate the
first
piece of advice.

Hmmm.. I did volunteer... but I don't want to do it without the approval of the
group
and I don't want to do it alone. If I don't get any moral or any other kind of
support,
I won't do it. I would take having no support as meaning no one really cares.
If no one
cares, why should I. If I really was set on this I would start a new
independent group
(which I have attempted to do in the past). But I realize also that this too
would
require that I have a group of people to help support any of the work that is
done. In
my opinion, starting a new group would be 10 times harder than extending the
existing
ACLUG. All this would not be very hard to do.

Hmmm... is anyone interested in supporting a time slot for beginners? If the
answer is
no, then there is no interest, and that is that. This means we will have to
stay with
the existing format. The truth is that we all have the power to enhance the
format to
make it better. I've met people who have told me that there is no such thing as
"better". I hate that attitude.

Anyone want to make ACLUG better? I want to. If I can get at least one other
person to
help, I think we can do it. It's not asking a lot.

I believe to help determine if doing this would be worth it or not, you must ask
yourself if you think Linux has a place in the average home or workplace.  Do
you
believe that it is a work horse OS only for the technically capable, and are
there
enough people in Wichita who can handle the challenge? If there are enough
people, is it
worth our time to help these people get started and to help accelerate the Linux
revolution? If the answer is YES, please let me know. If the anwer is "Corel
and Red Hat
are screwed up.......  ok then.

jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx