Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cool new fan site....hehe
From: glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:47:26 -0500 (CDT)

On 14 Apr, Steven Saner wrote:
> A possible problem that I see is that we may have several
> classifications of "beginners". There may be those that have no idea
> of what Linux is (or maybe not even a clear idea of what an operating
> system is) and don't know if it is something they want to try or
> not. Then there may be those that have decided that they want to try
> Linux, but don't know how to start. Then others may have finally got
> Linux installed (themselves or with the help of an install day) and
> now find themselves wondering what to do with Linux now that they have
> it. Each of these levels is vastly different than the rest and perhaps
> require a different approach.

personally, i think there's atleast another classification of a
beginner...  that's where i'm at:  i've been working w/ linux for 2-3
years, have gotten the basics down solidly, do my day-to-day stuff, but
when it comes to some of the (semi) basic networking stuff (ie: DUN,
DSL, Win9x networking) i'm still pretty lost.  granted this may be more
of an intermediate, but i still view myself as somewhat of a newbie..
heck, i learn something new every day (thanks mostly to this list!!!)..
 for ex: i learned that you have to have an extra carriage return after
 the last line in your crontab...  found that one out the hard way when
 i was trying to figure out why the heck my crontab to play mp3z in the
 morning to get me up wasn't working!  ;^ )

as someone ealier said, the meetings are a bit overwhelming and
intimidating at first, but i didn't think it was too bad on my first
visit (tho' i haven't been in a while due to work schedule : ^ ( ...

and personally, i like the question & answer period being informal...
more like a bunch of computer geeks hanging out and asking questions...
i enjoy listening to the questions & seeing if anything I want to ask
will be answered (or answering what i know)...

anyway, i would still be stuck in windows if it wasn't for this list,
so i am much obliged (sp?)

gLaNDix
--
<<<Linux lloydix 2.2.14 #1 Sat Jan 22 04:29:13 CST 2000 i586 unknown>>>

Homer:  Hey, Flanders, it's no use praying.  I already did the
        same thing, and we can't both win.

Flanders:
        Actually, Simpson, we were praying that no one gets hurt.

                   Dead Putting Society