Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: CS Degrees (Was: Re: Cool new fan site....hehe)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: CS Degrees (Was: Re: Cool new fan site....hehe)
From: "Jeffrey L. Hansen" <jlhansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:53:42 -0500 (CDT)

Funny you should mention picking up knowlege from a book without the
assistance of an instructor.  That's been my entire experience with the
WSU CS dept.  My UNIX instructor screwed me with his grading because he
was incapable of getting his point across and was frequently completely
wrong with the information he did convey.  I've got to live with a C now
in a class I earned an A in.  Most of my CS education was gained at Cal
State (Dominguez Hills) and the difference was night and day.  It's a
really small school but manages to get good instructors and is even
accredited now.  It will be a miracle if WSU can get accreditation with
the Mickey Mouse approach they have to education.  The facilities largely
suck and so do the instructors (to a large degree).  If one is adept to
reading the book with little or no illumination from the teacher then they
might succeed at WSU.  The other successful group, as mentioned by someone
earlier, is to work in groups and share ideas.