Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: CS Degrees (Was: Re: Cool new fan site....hehe)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: CS Degrees (Was: Re: Cool new fan site....hehe)
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 17:21:17 -0500

For many real-world programming applications, I can see where calc would be
of use.

For Unix administration (which really isn't the same as CS), calc is pretty
useless :-)

On Sat, Apr 15, 2000 at 11:05:11AM -0500, Jeffrey L. Hansen wrote:
> Actually, I've found several instances where my Calc was vital to the
> solution.  Strange, but true.  I think it depends mostly on the field.
> I'm working in structures testing and design software for embedded
> controllers.  There's a bunch of device level stuff required and I have to
> write things related to velocities and acceleration.  I'm not strong in
> it, by any means, but it was nice to have been exposed to it.
>

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Carl D Cravens wrote:
>
> > On 14 Apr 2000, John Goerzen wrote:
> >
> > > There are things that are taught at school that you do not necessarily
> > > pick up at a job.  Where was the last job that gave you on-the-job
> > > training of how to construct a linked list, a hash table, or a LZW
> > > compression algorithm?  Or told you why you might use shutdown()
> > > instead of close()?  Few do.  These are also non-obvious things that
> > > will not immediately reveal themselves to someone.
> >
> > Of course, there are lots of things they teach you at school that you
> > won't necessarily ever use on the job.  And I learned linked lists and
> > hash tables from books... *I* taught my *instructor* tricks with linked
> > lists that he'd never considered.  The LZW compression algorithm can be
> > picked up out of a book.  Anything they teach at school you can learn for
> > yourself.  But there's a lot you learn on the job that never comes up at
> > school.  Especially at a school where instructors tell you things like,
> > "tape is rarely used any more," "I got a D in this class the first time I
> > took it," and, "I don't know what you're going to use calculus for in the
> > computer field, but it's a degree requirement and that's why you're here."
> >
> > > What else do you learn that is of value?  I really enjoyed my
> > > philosophy classes, especially the one on Ethics and Computers.  And
> > > if you are planning on learning THAT on the job, you are sorely
> > > mistaken.  It gives you a broadening of horizons that you will not get
> > > on the job.
> >
> > This is true.  But I could have taken the "broadening" courses piecemeal
> > and skipped all the BS (and that ain't Bachelor of Science) classes like
> > Calculus.  (Calculus... the stumbling block of my college career.  If I
> > find myself in a job that requires calculus, I'm in the wrong job.  I
> > don't ever plan on using it, yet I was required to take ten hours of
> > it.  I can do math, but I could never make myself get serious about calc
> > because I knew it was entirely pointless.)
> >
> > > Does this class help people?  Without question.  The lively
> > > discussions we had in that class were really useful.
> >
> > Yeah... it was useful in pointing out to me how many of the upcoming
> > generation think that situational ethics is the norm and that there are no
> > absolute truths.  And it brings up lots of ethical questions that have no
> > clear answers.  I don't know if it was really useful to me or not.  But
> > that might have been because I took it at 28 instead of 18.

> > > What is unique about certain areas?  Note that computer programmers
> [...]

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The
literature was full of examples that said you can't do this." -- Spencer
Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It"
Notepads.