Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Ethernet card setup / Gateway system

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Ethernet card setup / Gateway system
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:27:19 -0500

My guess is that it's a reverse dns issue.  The box running the servers is
trying to reverse resolve the host name of the box that is 'calling' it. The
guy trying to connect to his internal network probably doesn't have a full
dns set up, and the sever has to time out a name lookup before it allows
connection. You, on the otherhand, are connecting from the web and you
reverse resolve okay.  He needs to either set up Bind (DNS) or make sure his
/etc/hosts file is configured properly.

I've seen this happen on my own network when I've added hosts that aren't in
the dns files.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx