Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Ethernet card setup / Gateway system

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Ethernet card setup / Gateway system
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:07:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koji Hayakawa" <sylf00@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 5:35 PM

> While we at the topic, I got (what to me) an age old question:
>
> At my friend's house, we have a redhat 6.0 setup, which runs as a get way
> server, as well as a few other services we use (such as www, ssh and ftp).
> We do IP Masqing for proxy, and the  gateway box got 2 NICs.  Internal
> network got 192.168. address, as it should be...  (or should it really?)

yes, it should be a 192.168. address (or one of the other reserved addresses
for private networks)

> Question 1.
> Is there a way for me to access his internal machines somehow?  Sometimes,
> my friend runs FTPd on his windows machine, and it would be nice if I
could
> access his machine straight at times.

yes, but I would not recommend it be left on full time due to security.  The
windows security is terrible.

There are some proxy type services that can be used for the connection.
rinetd is one I know of that will essentially do a relay type connection.
As far as you know on the outside you are connecting to the gateway machine.
the gateway machine relays the connection to the designated machine on the
private internal network.  It requires a little bit of config but not a lot.

> Question 2.
> We must have the setup a bit wrong.
> When he tries to ssh, telnet, or FTP from his windows machine to the
gateway
> box, not always, but many times, there's some 5-20 seconds delay in
initial
> connection.  Once the connection is established, things are fine....
(Also,
> trying to run traceroute from the gateway gives a good chunk of delay as
> well.)  What COULD be some of the cause of delays?

I sometimes see a similar delay.  Mine is due to the types of processes
running and the cpu load (by design I am always at 100% cpu load).  Since
the Linux machine runs telnet and ftp services on demand thru inetd there is
some delay (usually small) while it starts the correct service and
establishes the connection.