Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Mattyp goes Linux

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mattyp goes Linux
From: Benjamin Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 01:06:53 -0500 (CDT)

> 2. I'd like to run SETIATHOME on this box also.  I've downloaded the
> i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static client
> (setiathome-3.03.i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static.tar.
>
> I've then unzipped (from my W2K box and FTP'd it over since <ashamedly> I
> haven't taken the time to figure how to un-tar something. Anyway, I can't
> get it to start.  So, <raising NEWBIE hand...>, HELP (part deux).

I believe this file should work for you (provided you have a chip that can
run something compiled for i686 (celeron, pentium II/III, duron, athlon,
etc)).

put the above .tar file in your home directory, or wherever you want it,
and then run the command:

     tar -xvf setiathome-3.03.i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static.tar

This will create a directory with the name:

     setiathome-3.03.i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static

which you can change to something shorter, like "seti" using the mv
command:

     mv setiathome-3.03.i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static seti

then, cd into the seti directory, and run setiathome, ie:

     ./setiathome

You will be asked for your id info the first time your run it...and thats
pretty much it.

Ben