Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Mattyp goes Linux

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mattyp goes Linux
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:07:32 -0500

On Friday 06 April 2001 00:42, you wrote:

> 1. Install BSD-Tetris.  I was the SouthWind Champeen on ONYX and had fun,
> fun, fun until OneMain/EarthSTINK took my shell away.  So, I'd like to
> install it on my RH box to keep those block-droppin' skillz sharp.
>
> Here's what I've done to try and accomplish this (obviously without
> success, or I wouldn't be posting).  I've grabbed: bsd-games-2.9-2.src.rpm
> from the RH ftp site.  I'm using KDE for my desktop so I open up kpackage
> since it looks like the right tool to install an RPM.  I open up the
> afore-mentioned RPM, click install and get "Error looking for package
> bsd-games".  My gut reaction is that what I've downloaded needs to be
> compiled first, but I'm not sure and I wouldn't have clue 1 on how to
> compile it in the first place.  So, <raising NEWBIE hand...>, HELP.

You downloaded a source RPM, not a binary RPM. You want to build it instead
using a command like:

# rpm --rebuild bsd-games-2.9-2.src.rpm

If it fails to build, or can't unpack the rpm, there was probably a download
error leaving you a partial file.

I don't use kpackage myself, so I don't know if it has that option or not.

BTW, you can get a binary rpm of bsd-games from:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/ASP//i386/RPMS.rc2//bsd-games-2.9-8.i386.html

Greg
--
"Wow, I didn't know being a super hero could be so painful."