Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Distros ( was Ethernet card setup / Gateway system)

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Distros ( was Ethernet card setup / Gateway system)
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:48:36 -0500

First of all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Secondly, I don't think
there is technically a "goooooood" reason to go through a major change like
that if you are happy now.

I like Debian because it always works for me - through upgrades,
installations, and everything, I've never had any library conflicts or
anything that I routinely hear RedHat users complain about. In general,
Debian is very careful about testing everything of a certain realease
before making a release, and it sounds like RedHat likes to push closer to
the edge. With Debian, you might end up with slightly older versions of
apps (with all security patches applied, of course).

The other thing I like about Debian is that they seem to have security as a
high focus. I subscribe to the the Debain-security list, and whenever
something is sent out, I just type:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

and I have the patched versions installed. They are very quick about the
updates, too.

That's all I have to do to maintain it. (BTW, the command to upgrade to a
new release of the distribution is similar to the command above.)

John