Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Ethernet card setup / Gateway system

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Ethernet card setup / Gateway system
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:01:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Koji Hayakawa wrote:

> Is there a way for me to access his internal machines somehow?  Sometimes,
> my friend runs FTPd on his windows machine, and it would be nice if I could
> access his machine straight at times.

A port-forwarding daemon will take care of that.  You connect to the
gateway machine on a specific port and it "forwards your call" to a
service on the internal network.

> When he tries to ssh, telnet, or FTP from his windows machine to the gateway
> box, not always, but many times, there's some 5-20 seconds delay in initial
> connection.  Once the connection is established, things are fine....  (Also,
> trying to run traceroute from the gateway gives a good chunk of delay as
> well.)  What COULD be some of the cause of delays?

Lots of things, from problems in the physical network to high load on the
gateway.  I don't know of any common thing that causes such a problem and
I don't think I can be of much help in speculating.  Sorry.  (It'd be
interesting to see the results of some packet sniffing on the network...
it would help determine the timing of things and where the lag is
occuring.  Ethereal would do the trick, but you have to know how to
compile and install about five different packages to get it running if
your distro doesn't have the whole shebang available.  And ideally it'd be
run from a node on the network not participating in the exchange.)

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
ANY system works with enough hammer thumps.