Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-i18n: April 2006:
[freeciv-i18n] Re: Contributing with translations

To: claudiomkd@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-i18n] Re: Contributing with translations
From: Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:42:31 +0900

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 13:04 +0300, MKD wrote:
[...]
> After that, I know how to use 'diff -u' and so on so I get the patch to
> send. But I have two more doubts (it might looks like I'm a bit slow...,
> sorry I'm just new):
>
> I don't understand what is the thing with KBabel, I mean, I ment to
> translate everything by myself, without no help programs. Just by
> editing the .po file and generating the diff.
>
> Another thing, is that, as I explained above, from gettext, if I do
> 'msgmerge freeciv.pot es.po > new_es.po' on the TRUNK version, I have
> the new changes merged. But I don't know why/how to merge changes from
> S2_0 and S2_1.
>
> Why do I need to merge changes to S2_0 and S2_1 if I'm translating for
> CURRENT (trunk), and the new messages can be so included in the future S2_2.
>
> Can you help me with thous doubts, please? Thank you.

I personally make it easy for myself when translating: Only working on
one branch at a time. IMHO you should focus solely on S2_1 for the time
being as the next stable release will be from this branch.

At this point you don't have to merge changes from S2_0: I did that for
es.po a while ago and no work has been done on our Spanish translation
since then.

Oh, and when editing po's I personally just use gedit. ;)

Good luck!

-Daniel