Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch
From: Arnstein Lindgard <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:45:49 +0000

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:20:48 +0000 (GMT)
"Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Also, I've been informed that SMAC uses 7 veteran levels so I think that
> > I'll
> > set the maximum number of levels to 7 just for compatability (although if
> > players really feel that they need more they could always just increase the
> > value and recompile the game).
>
> A game recompiled in this way would be network incompatible with other
> games, so rather add a higher maximum of levels than needed, than suddenly
> realize there are too few. Why 7? Just as well go for 10. Nobody will ever
> need more than 10 veteran levels. (Famous last words...)

Multiple veteran levels is a great idea. I really hope there will be a
corresponging 'V' sprite in different colors to indicate level. When
you are making war or planning strategic positions for units, you'd
have a big drawback if you actually have to click on each unit to see
it's strength. Maybe the number levels should be adjusted to the
colors from the standard pallette you can realistically use ?
In PR#3532 I have a yellow 'V' that fits like a glove in the same
position as the stacking cross, for the 3 standard tilesets. It can go
there without making a visual mess. Maybe darker colors for more
experienced units?

Arnstein