Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:48:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
> I suppose it takes a very good computer gfx artist to make
> distinctive iconography with limited palette and pixels available. I
> hate generalizing, but make an exception :) I fear that introducing
> new important tactical information without corresponding visual
> effects will detract from the strategy war game aspect of Freeciv
> rather than add to it.
>
> BTW, why would anyone want variable number of levels instead of
> levels/no levels? How about slashing or hiding half of the existing
> options instead. A newbie starting up a civserver already gets a
> screenfull dumped on him typing /show.

I agree with the general sentiment. However, in this case, I think it
should be possible to allow up to 10 veteran levels without much problem.
For example, we could stack a simple "v" shape to the left bottom of the
unit display for each veteran level.

Also, note that the veteran levels are defined in rulesets, not in the
client or server options.

  - Per