Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch
From: James <james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:50:30 +0000

So far with regard to the veteran patch I have configurable effects for the
veteran levels.  In units.ruleset one can specify the bonuses for each
veteran level: i.e.
veteran_power_fact = 100, 140, 160, 180, 190, 200
where the values represent percentages of the existing value, so 100
represents a multiplier of 1 and 180 represents a multiplier of 1.8 etc
The names given to each level can also be configured:
veteran_names = "green", "adept", "experienced", "hardened", "veteran",
"elite"
I was aware that in one of the patches there are 6 veteran levels, but to
give support for SMAC features it should be easily extendible to 7 levels.
Currently I have a configurable number of veteran levels from 2 to
MAX_VET_LEVELS (in shared.h).

The number of veteran levels must correspond to the number of values given
for the veteran level bonuses vectors in the configuration file and to the
number of labels given by "veteran_names" (an error is raised if it does not).

I probably won't include caravan veteran levels, however I will probably
submit them as a patch later on.

I have a few more questions if nobody minds:
- Is a configurable number of veteran levels useful?  If so then the
following point should be considered.

- If the number of veteran levels is set to 3 then this will affect the
diplomats.  Diplomats (according to the teamciv patch) have level based on
which improvements have been built in the city.  The palace, a library, a
research facility and a university will all add a value of 1 to the veteran
level.  Clearly if then only 3 levels are available (including the level = 0)
then this system of calculating level will go over the maximum veteran level.
Should I disallow veteran levels below 5, or merely clip the extra level
points to give a maximum possible level of 3 (even if the player has all the
facilities)?
If veteran caravan support were to be added to this patch the same problem
would be present for the caravan veteran levels also.

- To add SMAC support I wanted to add a movement point bonus system.  This
is again slightly problematic.  At the moment the bonuses are for all units,
(i.e. the veteran_power_fact values apply to all the units, military or
otherwise).  A movement bonus would again apply to all units.  Should I make
the bonuses unit specific?  This would have quite a lot of redundant data as
many units have the exact same behaviour.

- Also should I specify movement bonuses as a multiplication factor,
i.e. veteran_move_bonus = 100, 100, 100, 150, 200
or as an addition number of movement points?
i.e. veteran_move_bonus = 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2

Thanks,
James Blewitt