Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch

To: James <james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:20:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, James wrote:
> I think that the problem with having diplomats gaining in level as they
> execute missions is that for most missions (i.e. city infiltration) they
> cause the unit to be dispanded upon entering a city.

Diplomats, yes. Spies survive more easily, though. You could put survival
chances into the veteran levels, too, so that veteran diplomats gain a
increasing high chance of surviving what non-veteran diplomats would not.

I think in general that for units to acquire veteran status it should be a
'survivor', a kind of legendary unit that simply refuses to die. At least
that is the most fun way to think of them, even if perhaps not the most
realistic?

> I've had some suggestions on having the city improvements that give
> better diplomats configurable, what are your thoughts on this? Personally
> I'd rather not because I think that it would be quite complicated.

I'm afraid there will have to be, once generalized effects are
implemented. Until then, just add the necessary abilities to
data/default/buildings.ruleset and associated files.

There is already effects along the line of:
  effect          =
    { "type", "range", "aff_unit"
        "Unit_Veteran", "City", "Air"

How easy it would be to extend this to specific named unit, Mike will have
to answer. Also, if this is done, it should be possible to do it for any
unit and any number of specified units.

Personally I'd rather avoid this altogether by not having city
improvements give more veteran levels.

> Also, I've been informed that SMAC uses 7 veteran levels so I think that I'll
> set the maximum number of levels to 7 just for compatability (although if
> players really feel that they need more they could always just increase the
> value and recompile the game).

A game recompiled in this way would be network incompatible with other
games, so rather add a higher maximum of levels than needed, than suddenly
realize there are too few. Why 7? Just as well go for 10. Nobody will ever
need more than 10 veteran levels. (Famous last words...)

  - Per