Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: James <james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:21:59 +0100

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 10:20:48AM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, James wrote:
> > I've had some suggestions on having the city improvements that give
> > better diplomats configurable, what are your thoughts on this? Personally
> > I'd rather not because I think that it would be quite complicated.
> I'm afraid there will have to be, once generalized effects are
> implemented. Until then, just add the necessary abilities to
> data/default/buildings.ruleset and associated files.

Yes; I wouldn't bother writing the code, since this is already done far
more generally by impr-gen (and perhaps by generalised effects too).

> There is already effects along the line of:
>   effect          =
>     { "type", "range", "aff_unit"
>         "Unit_Veteran", "City", "Air"
>
> How easy it would be to extend this to specific named unit, Mike will have
> to answer.

Or I could, since I wrote the code. ;) With the current code, unit
classes are configurable in the ruleset. So you can put your units in
the "Foo" class, and then define Unit_Veteran effects that specify "Foo"
in their aff_unit field. It would be trivial to extend the code to
specific units, but I feel this wouldn't be as clean a solution; if you
want to have it affect just one type of unit, just have that one unit in
the class.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/