Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4043) further 1.14.0 gtk2 mingw32 compile woes

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4043) further 1.14.0 gtk2 mingw32 compile woes
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 06:44:59 -0700

(I'm turning this into a meta-ticket for gtk2 on mingw32.)

Now I've gotten gtk2 up and running on XP using mingw32, both client and
server. Screenshot at
ftp://upload.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/freeciv-gtk2-mingw32-xp.png

It is fairly slow, though, both creating the first windows (main and
connect dialog) and moving units. But everything seems to work flawlessly,
except some gtk warnings. Opening windows during the game is fast.
Scrolling the map is slow.

Only one small change was needed after yesterday's bugathon: -lwsock32 is
needed not only for SERVER_LIBS when we use mingw32, but also for
CLIENT_LIBS. In other words, stuff it into LIBS once we detect mingw32.
I'll make a patch once I manage to get my linux partition back into dual
boot again...

Here are the warnings, get them when starting, not while playing:
(civclient.exe:956): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1338
(g_object_unref): assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed

(civclient.exe:1184): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1338
(g_object_unref): assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed

The slowness in starting is not really a problem, but the slow scrolling
and moving of units is. Now we also have the latter problem in gtk2 on
linux, so maybe it is something that can be fixed... If someone with more
experience in the map code could take a look at it, that would be great.
Once that problem is fixed I can package a binary install of the gtk2
client for Windows XP.

FREECIV MINGW32 & GTK2 HOWTO
 1. Install MinGW. We assume c:\mingw here and below. Both
    MinGW and MSYS can be downloaded from http://www.mingw.org/
 2. Install MSYS somewhere else.
 3. Install GTK from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-win/
    both Runtime and Development, and install both of them
    in c:\mingw
 4. Run msys. Type:  export PATH="$PATH:/c/mingw/lib"
    You MUST have all your libraries in your PATH on win32.
 5. Copy freeciv sources into c:\mingw\freeciv, go there
    and type "./configure --disable-nls --enable-client=gtk2".
 6. If you have luck, it works, and you can do "make". Then
    just run the game.

It appears that this only works for XP (maybe also Windows 2000). I tried
on my old WinME partition, and it failed miserably.

  - Per