Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch

To: James <james.blewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:27:37 -0500

James wrote:

I was aware that in one of the patches there are 6 veteran levels, but to give support for SMAC features it should be easily extendible to 7 levels. Currently I have a configurable number of veteran levels from 2 to MAX_VET_LEVELS (in shared.h).

If you don't already, you should detect and give an error message if the ruleset exceeds this limit. Another option is to avoid hard-coding a limit.

I have a few more questions if nobody minds:
- Is a configurable number of veteran levels useful? If so then the following point should be considered.

Yes - at a minimum it is useful for supporting compatability levels with different civ games.

- If the number of veteran levels is set to 3 then this will affect the diplomats. Diplomats (according to the teamciv patch) have level based on which improvements have been built in the city. The palace, a library, a research facility and a university will all add a value of 1 to the veteran level. Clearly if then only 3 levels are available (including the level = 0) then this system of calculating level will go over the maximum veteran level. Should I disallow veteran levels below 5, or merely clip the extra level points to give a maximum possible level of 3 (even if the player has all the facilities)? If veteran caravan support were to be added to this patch the same problem would be present for the caravan veteran levels also.

Clip the level.

The buildings that affect this level should also be configurable.

- To add SMAC support I wanted to add a movement point bonus system.  This
is again slightly problematic. At the moment the bonuses are for all units, (i.e. the veteran_power_fact values apply to all the units, military or otherwise). A movement bonus would again apply to all units. Should I make the bonuses unit specific? This would have quite a lot of redundant data as many units have the exact same behaviour.

Or there could just be a boolean "gets_vet_movement_bonus" parameter for each unit, or the movement bonus could only apply to military units (whatever they are...).

- Also should I specify movement bonuses as a multiplication factor,
i.e. veteran_move_bonus = 100, 100, 100, 150, 200
or as an addition number of movement points?
i.e. veteran_move_bonus = 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2

Ugh. IIRC SMAC did the second one. I don't care. But make sure the multiplication factor cannot drop the unit to 0 MP (if it isn't there already).

The patch, and future discussion on this should go to rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. There may already be a ticket for this topic.

jason