Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple veteran level system patch
From: Arnstein Lindgard <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:42:48 +0000

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:45:11 +0100 (BST)
Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > (...) Maybe darker colors for more
> > experienced units?
>
> Colours, I hate colours!  Can't we have it like in civ3, number of
> stripes?  Or Roman numbers (since having 7 stripes isn't great)?

I suppose it takes a very good computer gfx artist to make
distinctive iconography with limited palette and pixels available. I
hate generalizing, but make an exception :) I fear that introducing
new important tactical information without corresponding visual
effects will detract from the strategy war game aspect of Freeciv
rather than add to it.

BTW, why would anyone want variable number of levels instead of
levels/no levels? How about slashing or hiding half of the existing
options instead. A newbie starting up a civserver already gets a
screenfull dumped on him typing /show.

Arnstein